Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Santa Ysabel Tribal Library

Howka tribal members..... For those of you that don't know me , my name is Karen Vigneault. I recently wrote and was awarded a grant for our reservation through IMLS (Indian Museum & Library Services). The library will be housed on the rez in what used to be the Head Start building. I am preparing this website for the benefit of tribal members to reach out to me and let me know what their needs are. I can be reached at kumeyaayindian@hotmail.com. The new library will have childrens furniture, a current collection of children, teen and adult books . The tribe will be taking applications for a member to work after school for about 2 hours so they can learn how to work in a library. The library will also need volunteers as well as people to help us create a reading hour for the young children. Future events I hope to have for tribal members are free book day, summer reading programs with incentives, Native authors appearing at the rez to meet tribal members and learn about how we as Indian people can also become authors. Please email me with any ideas or needs you may have. Karen

No comments: